Sunday, May 29, 2011

Impostor


I found this comic from xkcd webcomics and as a literature major I found it extremely funny. I want to relate this comic to my experience. When writing an essay or analysis in literature classes, sometimes I make up my own interpretations without any knowledge of the text and get a full score on it and this could never happen in pure science subjects. It is true that there are no definite answers in literary criticism and therefore it becomes easier to fool others on things they do not really know compared to other fields of study. It is hard to distinguish whether the person knows or is pretending to know.

This difference also makes it harder to make a conversation between people of pure science major (such as physics, biology, math, etc.) and people of social science or humanities major. Even though these studies are all related, it seems like we live in two different worlds because we understand and interpret everyday situations differently. Sometimes, we tend to disregard or put more importance on particular field of study. My high school math teacher used to say humanities study is all about 'playing with words,' and a professor at KAIST said the same thing. On the other hand, my high school Korean subject teaher said that in a society, social science or humanities majors are always at the top of hierarchy (such as CEOs, presidents, etc.) I thought both arguments are convincing in a way but I don't think one is more important than another. People are born with talent and dispositions that are more suitable for a centain field of study and that is what makes people unique, diverse and interesting!

1 comment:

  1. I've ever thought that humnities study is all about 'playing with words',but I've change my mind at university. People who like everything clear and obvious may not accept humanities, but I think humanities are producing many creative ideas which make our society colorful. As you said, People are born with talent and dispositions that are more suitable for a centain field of study and that is what makes people unique, diverse and interesting!

    ReplyDelete