Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How Many Hours Did You Sleep Last Night?

This semester, 4 of my 5 weekdays begin with a 0900 class. Average hours of sleep that I get during weekdays may be around 4 to 5 hours. During weekends, I sleep alot to recover myself from fatigue.

However, according to a recent study, I was doing something terribly wrong to my body. The study about optimal hours of sleep was published in a scientific journal Sleep. It concludes that 7 hours per day is the ultimate answer. (Article: Seven hours sleep is the recipe for health)

Deprivation of sleep is well known to elevate blood pressure, and reduce glucose tolerance, in result, increases the risk of artery damage. More seriously, a study conducted by University of Warwick analyzed 16 studies involving a total of 1.3 million people. Guess what they concluded. The conclusion was that those who sleep fewer than six hours are more likely to die prematurely, before the age of 65, than those who slept between six to eight hours a night.

Then, should we sleep as much as possible? The research also says "No" to such question.
Those who slept long hours had increased chances of suffering from breathing disorders, with increased risk of cardiovascular disease. (Article: 7 Hours Sleep Just Right)

7 is not only a number that signifies a good luck, but is a magic number that will keep us healthy. Live with the number 7.

5 comments:

  1. Well, I like sleep too much that I always dream of sleeping more than 24hours... I usually sleep 7~12 hours a day this semester, then I might be sleeping quite right. I also have heard that sleeping 3, 6, 9 hours makes us feel fresh when we wake up(I don't belive it though...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your title catched my eyes.I just slept 2hours last night because like you I also have 9'o clock class and had to prepare for the presentation and other things today. I guess I should say this morning.kk maybe that's why I've had a serious headache. I also agree with that there will be the ideal time for sleep, but I remember that it depends on a person. I'm not sure that I watched TV or listened to the radio. The subject was the same, but the target was the third year of high school students. As we know, they have to study, so they are a lack of sleep. anyway the important thing was also enough sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think when we first encounter articles like these we feel pressured to follow it because we think that not doing so will have a negative impact on our lives. However, I think this is one of those things that we know is not good for our body but cannot help doing. This is similar to eating fatty foods, drinking excessively, smoking, not exercising, etc. We know that all of these things can cause health problems but we do it anyways because we cannot change our habits easily or our lifestyle does not allow it. So when I see articles like these I question their effectiveness because even after being informed of the negative effects that certain things have on our body, we rarely change. This is just a thought that came to mind when I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to bed at 12:00 and getting up at 7:00!! It has been my goal, but I sleep too much! However, even 7 hours is too much for a student in 7th semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sleep deprivation has been shown to make people hungrier and fatter...

    Just wait 'til this gets out. “Sorry, I can't go out tonight. I have to sleep to lose weight.”

    ReplyDelete