Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Expensive coffee vs cheaper coffee?

I actually did a research about this, why people tend to drink expensive coffee rather than cheaper ones?

I first thought, expensive = better taste. So, i did this research about why people tend to drink expensive coffee. First I went to both Coffee Bean and Cafe May. Well, Coffee Bean's shop was less crowded, neat, had larger space than Cafe May or any cheaper coffee shops but still it wasn't enough to explain, why people tend to drink expensive coffee.

I once heard from my friend talking about a commercial of McDonalds, about coffee. It was by placing 4000won on cup A , and placing 2000won on cup B. Then pour the same coffee at both cup A and B. and then let the testers taste both A and B. Guess what?haha

People tend to say, cup A( 4000won) tasted better, and it had a "deep flavor" compared to B!
So, I did the similar thing for my research. I prepared a cup of Coffee Bean and a cup of Cafe May, both with the ice they usually provide. Then, I poured the same "Let's Be" coffee.
I let some students taste and ask which was better, but most of the people told me Coffee Beans tasted a li~~ttle better than cafe May.

As a conclusion, I thought. People buying expensive coffees, they are buying the brand, and the brand makes them satisfy with their product.
After finishing this research.. I thought that this research was sort of obvious...
For example, It is like with clothes. same plain white shirt, one with Nike, other with Nice(imitations)
well, still i found it interesting while doing the experiment though..
Same coffee but, people prefer the coffee on the Coffee Beans cup hahaha

6 comments:

  1. I have thought a lot about this too because many people question why some people pay twice or even three times the price for coffee at cafes such as Starbucks or Coffeebean. And I agree with you that the brand of the coffee has a big influence. To add onto your idea, in my case, I think that I am willing to pay a higher price because I am not only paying for the coffee but also the service and culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you really did the research? It's very interesting. I still think some cheap coffee tastes really cheap, but I agree that people consume the brand, not just to enjoy the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good topic! There has obviously been a lot of research on how price affects our perception of quality. Dan Gilbert touched on this in the video we watched, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It surprised me too that you did that kind of research. I think you really make good point. but unless it is not the purpose of showing-off to buy specific brand coffee, then I think that's fine with me. Even that is so, but still it's their choice. If they can afford it and they prefer the taste of the brand coffee, I guess then there's no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard it's same with kimchi! there was a survey about two different kimchi: one made with special ingredients of only organic food and the other, just a regular, rather unhygenic kimchi from small eating places like Kimbap heaven. People were supposed to choose which one they think is made with organic and healthy ingredient and which tasted better. 90% of the people chose the one from small eating restaurant. this is because people are used to this taste and could not really differentiate from the way they looked. it's not exactly the same with this coffee comparison, but i thought this survey was also interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really don't care too much about which type of coffee I drink, as long as I'm used to it and I enjoy the taste.
    -Jack

    ReplyDelete