Thursday, May 5, 2011

History textbook problem

We meet such a big deal. Do we have to modify the whole story of our history textbook?
Korea has a long history, about five thousand years. And we made various cultures, tradition. But Japan has invaded and colonized Korea. And they changed our history. After we were independent of Japan, some scholars having learned from Japan have educated people about history in a wrong way.

Japan knew that Korea had a improved history and culture. They changed history and educated Koreans about it. This education has continued. This is a colonialization policy.

Fortunately, the government pronounced the history will be a required subject in the high school before long. It's a good thing. Because the students studying our history will be increasing. But still, our history textbook includes wrong history. We have to know our right history. So we have to change history text.

the article

7 comments:

  1. I didn't have a chance to learn Korean history well since I was abroad when I was a teenager. I don't like history, but I think it will be nice to have a background knowledge. Even though there are some dramas about our history, I don't know how far the truth goes..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with the writer of the article posted. It is very important to know our history and teach to our descendants, but just teaching what we(Koreans) think will also be a problem as Japanese are doing. So I think the textbooks in schools should be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I strongly agree that history education in public schools has to be more emphasized, but only with an accurate and objective history textbook. A famous quote made by H. L. Mencken, an American critic, came to my mind. "Historian - an unsuccessful novelist."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um... is there an English version?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I was referred to this article

    ReplyDelete
  6. So... is there? If there is, then you should link to it. If you can't find an English version, then link to the Korean version and make a brief note as to why you're doing so (i.e. that the Korean version is the only one available).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have linked it already. What do you mean?

    ReplyDelete