Friday, April 15, 2011

When is the last time you wore hanbok?

When I heard about this news, I just laughed. It was ironic! Just hearing the word "Shilla" makes me think of something traditional. However, they rejected a woman from entering a hotel restaurant because she wore hanbok! I understand hanbok is long and it flares out that others may step on it. And due to the characteristic of a buffet, there can be some accidents. However, I think the staffs were not trained properly. They should have just given the designer a warning to be careful when walking around. And I guess the staffs didn't know who she was. If they knew that she is a well-known hanbok designer, how could have they said that to her?? I wonder what happened to the staffs of The Parkview.. And I also think that this happening spreaded out so quickly because she was a famous person. It could have gone much slower if this happend to a mere citizen..

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, when I heard this news I thought that something going wrong in this country. How can a hotel which is one of the most famous in Korea can reject a person with 'Hanbok'? Although hotel "Shilla" explained that there was some misunderstandings between the workers, I think this is not a small problem to just go over. We should know our culture and tradition better and think as a valueable thing to protect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also learned that among many famous hotels in Korea, there are only a few places that serve traditional Korean food. This means that out tradition and culture are being lost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, it sounded ridiculous at first, but maybe this news reporting could be biased. As mentioned in the article, the CEO said, this incident is only a mistake made by the staffs and entering the restaurant with Hanbok is not "banned" but are entered with a warning. This may not be true but we always have to consider opposing side of views in a controversial. I also thought it was funny how quickly this happening spread through online because a lot of Koreans are not interested in keeping their tradition. The reason why there are few korean traditional restaurants is because the number of customers is decreasing every year. I think the reason behind this rage could also be attributed to the guiltiness of Koreans, not keeping their tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is true that the Shilla Hotel made a terrible mistake, but I think they are being 'overly blamed.' This reflects Korean's negative sentiment towards "S Company," the parent enterprise of Shilla Hotel. According to news articles, Shilla Hotel is also shocked about such a great aftermath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a little relieved to know there's someone wo think the same way. I want to ask Emily. If the staff knew who she was and act differently, it is more weird. The staff acted according to their policy.

    It's very good thing that the famous hotel promote Korean culture, but it that necessary for all koreans to be angry about a hotel's policy?

    ReplyDelete