Thursday, April 14, 2011

Don't you dare touch that popcorn!

Classmates.. (especially girls who care about their looks!) let's stop eating popcorn when we are watching movies at the theater! Even if you are on a hot date or a ladies night out after your big long stressful exam week, let's not go too far and eat popcorns at a movie theater. I just found an article on New York Times, called "Popcorn's Dark Secret" by Karen Barrow.



Go Here


Yes, I know that everyone knows how much fattening those popcorns at movie theatres are with double amount of sodium and butter. Though knowing the vague idea of it and actually knowing the exact amount of fat and sodium in popcorn will make you think twice about having that popcorn this weekend! According to the article, in order to have just enough amount of popcorn as a healthy snack, you would have to share your popcorn with the entire row of moviegoers around you! The study from the Center for Science in the Public Interest researched three movie theaters ( probably in America) and small size popcorn has 670 calories, 550 miligrams of sodium and 24 grams of saturated fat! The only relieving fact from this article is that the size of American popcorn cup is much larger than Korean ones and I believe Korean movie theater popcorns do not use coconut oil for their popcorn. So hopefully we can cut down about 100 calories from what they say on this article, but I don't guarantee anything from the amount of sodium! Also, I wrote the portion of small size popcorn so I don't scare you away too much. For large popcorn.. see it for yourself on this article!!


Now, as you can see if you go into the hyperlink, the article was posted on November, 2009. That is almost a year and a half old article and yet I have to say there are a lot more popcorn flavor invented since then! Just in Korea for example, we have buttered pop corn, spicy flavor (using ramen sauce), garlic flavor, and charamel flavor. I personally love charamel flavor, but I heard that is buttered popcorn coated with charamel on top. Don't make me calculate the calories there... I walk & run for 30 minutes on treadmill every other day and I bet you that doesn't make me lose 700~800 calories I eat from charamel popcorns! Now, the article suggests to skip popcorns when watching movies at theater. I can do that. But it also says that air popped popcorn also contains enough sodium for your daily nutrient. I am sure no body just eats one popcorn for a whole day.


Now, the movie theaters pops their popcorn using coconut oil, which often has 90% of saturated fat. So I repeat, let's just forget about popcorns from now on when we go to movie theaters if you are not going to share your popcorn with the entire row of movie goers as this article says!


Just to add a little information: this does not mean you can have nachos instead of popcorns at movies!!

6 comments:

  1. am i the only one on this blog who cannot make spaces in between lines???? It's driving me insane!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're spacially challenged...

    Seriously, though, this explains why I always feel mildly sick after a tub of popcorn.

    Btw, please don't use the URL as link text. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgosh.
    I so didn't know this fact.
    Just looking at the Kcal chart popcorn seems like a low kcal food:S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... If you know all the ingredients that goes into a cake, I bet most of us will be shocked! Then think about how many calories will be for a piece of cake.. (It will be much less than popcorns) But desserts are so tempting that we can't stop eating *.* Let's just not think about the calories and feel guilty about it when we are eating.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. i finally understood how to make spaces in between!!!! oh and I also learned what Daejang meant with no URL as text link haha I feel like I learned a lot today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew that popcorns would be bad for my health somehow, but I didn't know it would be bad as this! I just had a whole package of 'mixed flavored popcorns' - strawberry, chocolate, butter and charamel flavors - and all to my self! I wish I had read your article sooner
    ㅠㅠ....
    Thesedays, snack companies produce a lot of popcorn snacks in 'portable package'; So it's easy to get hold of them even if you're not in movie theaers......You can easily find them in a mart and it's so tempting to buy one of them!! From now I will try to avoid eating popcorns too much, but I'm not sure if I'll be successful- popcorns are just so delicious to resist!

    ReplyDelete