Friday, April 29, 2011

Ever seen a Two-headed cow?!

As I was surfing the net today, I came across a very shocking picture.
What I saw was a picture of two-headed calf!!!

A news article reports that a two-headed calf has been born on a Chinese farm.

Except the fact that this calf has 3 ears instead of 4 ears, the head is almost like
two seperate heads bind together; each part of head has its own pair of eyes, a nose, and a mouth, all in perfectly-normal state.
The two heads point in opposite directions and they are literally 'head-to-head' without an additional neck to be separated and rested on, so the two heads cannot see one another by its eyes.

I wonder if the two heads stand out seperately - as individual characters - or that the calf has only 'one' brain and it just happened to be born to with an extra, surplus head.
It would be really weird if they really have separate identities; Then the calf will be like some kind of creatues in myths. It's really freaky when I imagine seeing two heads somehow expressing different wills :b

Despite its abnormal body appearance, the news says that the calf is healthy. Unfortunately, the two-headed calf can't stand upright by itself so it is bottle-fed by a person.

To my surprise, this two-headed calf was not the first to be born on earth.
There were more incidents of two-headed calves' births in Estonia, China, and Georgia since 2000 and it is not clear whether those were results of genetic problem or environmental pollution.

I had heard more news of 'mutated animals' thesedays, especially of those contaminated by radioactivity. People are worrying about the possible effects of radioactivity, after some serious radiation leakage accident took place in Japan.

What I had only considered possible in Sci-fis and imagination are actually happening in front of my eyes.
It sure would be a serious problem if the cause of this calf's mutation turns out to be environmental pollution. We should really care about environment and make plans to effectively deal with problems rising from environmental pollution and radioactive contamination.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm also worried when I hear these kind of news! I'm worried about the effects that might appear in Japan because of the recent nuclear problems too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I also saw the news about other examples.
    I'm also worried that environment pollutions are increasing around the world. It will cause many bad effects, such as genetic transformed animals. It can also happen to animals, plants and even people. We should take care about them.

    ReplyDelete