Friday, April 15, 2011

21st century and its ideal image.

Just looking back a few decades ago, being fat was equivalent to beauty. But then what has changed our perspective? Is it all because of the media? Or is it due to technological invention? Maybe, it’s the economical growth in our society. I don’t have the answer to this question but, what I am really sure of is that both man and woman have unrealistic expectation when describing their ideal figure. Just a few days ago, I was having a conversation with my friend and he was asking me for a blind-date. He expected me to introduce a girl who was funny, pretty and smart just like Kim Tae Hee. GOSH. He then told me that he could do average looking girls too. Then he stated that average looking girls meant ‘girl groups.’ I instantly told him that I’m not going to set him up for a blind date. We just laughed off about this topic but the conversation really got me thinking for a few days. This wasn’t my first time hearing this. Girls too talk about this oh so very often. Then, is this the new phenomena in our society? Is everyone so self absorbed that they all expect this standard. Or are we still living inside a fairy-tell story scared and worried to enter the actual world itself? What has made our society (especially Korean society) become obsessed about our outer experience? I personally want to blame the media. MASS MEDIA. Well, Media plus technology. Initially, technology equals to economy, and economy is always followed by politics. So are these problems all inter connected? One leading into another problem… Our current perspective has now become rooted down into our society so deeply that are hands are tied down. Is the outcome of our thoughts initially our own fault? There are so many questions…. And no one with the definite answers to it.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for not even trying to set him up. Maybe with some critical thinking skills he'll be able to figure out why he's still single.

    ReplyDelete