Friday, March 18, 2011

Pancake = 전 ???

Korean Food Globalization is always a task for chefs in Korea.
Even foregin chefs try to cook fusion dishes using Korean foods.
I onced visit this restaurant called "정식당" in Apgujeong-dong, which offers fusion of French and Korean, and it was worth the price :)
But sometimes, a problem can occur when writing descriptions for menus in English,
Can you think of '전' when you see the word pancake???
I don't like '전' but like pancakes!!! They just don't match.. - -
The blueberry pancakes in the picture are so not like the original blueberry pancakes..
I hope they find a new word for it, or just use the spelling as it is in Korean..

7 comments:

  1. "I am going to call this a fail." heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's same with soup! You can't say soup to like 된장찌개, 김치찌개, 청국장! When I think of soup, it's mushroom soup, corn soup and other type that has mild soft taste to it! Sounds disgusting if you say kimchi soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Korean food then I think it's better to write in Korean with some explanation of the ingredient but for fusion it doesn't matter whether it's called 전 or pancake.
    cause I'm not a big fan of fusion. kkk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Iris. Unfortunately, some of the descriptions sound rather unappetizing... still I think it's the best we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. It's really a problem that words we use to indicate certain food, do not fit so well. I remember serving 떡 to my american friend saying 'Have some rice cake'. My friend said 'Oh, this is 'cake' of Korea', as if Koreans use the word 'cake' for indicating 'lumped rice'.I explained to her Koreans DO know the spongy, bread 'Cake'. Think that if there were no person to explain this to her-She would get the wrong idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I hear the word "pancake" I think of something that is sweet. However, 전 is rather salty, especially when it is served with 간장. It may be considered as a stereotype...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. For us, pancakes are definitely not sweet.

    ReplyDelete