Thursday, March 31, 2011

Korea’s Cell Phone Addiction

I decided to write about this topic, because wherever I go, I’m disturbed by people who are obsessed with mobile phones. For example, when I’m in the subway, I see people talking loudly on the phone, watching DMB without an earphone, playing a game and etc. These people disturb me especially when I try to read books and I’m not the only one who wants to read in the subway. When people are talking on the phone loudly especially about their private life, I feel unpleasant because I get to know about their life without any intention. I’m sure those people also have experienced the unpleasant feeling too when they heard another people talking on the phone. But somehow they repeat it without any sense of guilt. Not only those, but I’m also disturbed to see people who are obsessed with phones in general. For example, in the classrooms, some students seem to never stop looking at their phones, texting, playing games, etc. and due to the advent of smart phones and applications, students have a lot more to do with their phones. It causes distractions not only to themselves but to the other students and the professors. Professors usually do not punish them, but I think they would feel terribly displeased and even offended. According to the research, the addiction to cell phones is more serious among late teens and young women than other demographics. The reason behind cell phone addiction is, in my opinion, is that people are afraid of the loneliness. It happens more often among teenagers and young women because they feel more secure as a part of a group and relationships. In my opinion, text messages and phone calls do not necessarily make human relationship closer. It is only an assumed relationship but people find comfort in it because they believe that they are not alone. Especially in Korean culture being or doing things alone may appear abnormal because the culture emphasizes group rather than an individual. I think using cell phones excessively is not a matter of problem but more of an issue. Because some people might argue using a cell phone in spare time gives more advantages than disadvantages. But it certainly becomes harm if it becomes an addiction as it affects the person’s performance in school and workplaces. In my opinion, cell phones should be used only when necessary and not in making friends and socialization. When there’s an acquaintance in front of you, talk to them not to the phone!

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that cell phone addiction is a serious problem especially with the rapid increase in the number of smart phone users. I think that such an addiction brings about numerous disadvantages such as what you have already mentioned, disturbing not only people around the user but also the user him or herself. Nonetheless, I still believe that cell phones and smart phones are one of the best inventions and innovation in all of history. It is so interesting how much convenience we take for granted today. Can you imagine life without a cell phone or smart phone, not being able to talk to someone outdoors, not being able to take pictures of important memories, not being able to access the internet without restriction in location, and so much more? It is true that people can sometimes invest excessive time, effort and attention into cell phones, especially the younger generation. It will be nice if there is a way to get students to regard cell phones as a tool of communication rather than treating as more valuable than anything else in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Professors usually do not punish them...

    I punish them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, I personally think that technology has actually become one of our necessity in life. I really can’t seem to imagine myself without any technological devices even just for an hour. Some people might not consider technological communication as one of the communication tool. Nonetheless, I believe that technology helps inter-communication between one another to be easier.

    ReplyDelete