Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bill Gates' Favorite Teacher?

When I first saw the title of this article, 'Bill Gates' Favorite Teacher' it was so interesting to me because Bill Gates is known as on of the most richest person in the world, and is also famous for his big amount of donations toward poor countries. And the title says that there is a person who Bill Gates thinks as a teacher, "so then who is the teacher of this great person?".

The teacher is 'Salman Khan', who teaches math, science, and a range of other subjects through the 'Youtube' for FREE(!). His class is quite unusual to any other online classes. The teacher 'Khan' never apears, instead the students can only see the electronic blackboard and his voice. He isn't famous just because of his free lecture or unusual teaching style. Instead he teaches math, science, economics etc. which are actually hard to study in a very breif way. Each lecture only takes 15 to 20 minutes. Some might think that 'because he teaches in a very short time, he might be teaching only the simple things'. But guess what! during the short classes he gettes to the essence of each topic and makes people understand easily too! As the title of the article tells, the reason why Bill Gates favor 'Salman Khan' is also because of his skill to teach important thinks in a very easy way.

As a owner of a mentor school, I also really envy the teaching skills of 'Khan'. When I teach my students I find it really hard to make students to get to the point what I'm teaching and understand it. So after I found this article(which was writen quite ago...) I went to the site, "Khan Academy" - where all the lectures of Khan are listed and able to take the classes just by clicking the title of the lecture - and took some classes to learn his teaching skills. Teaching is NEVER easy!!! What usefull skills do you have for teaching?

* URL and "click here" link fixed, 2011. 4. 6

3 comments:

  1. I've always thought that 'teaching well' means teaching a difficult things in an easy way. I'll try to take Khan's class because I'm very interesed in economics and math. After taking some classes maybe I can post it on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t think Salman Khan was really his teacher. However, I think Bill Gates is a great person who has a brilliant mind with lot to give aid to, not only financially but ideologically that might help hundreds of impoverished people. I really think that this Khan video can be of lot of help to people who can’t afford to be educated or schools that cannot afford teachers. Hope this video become more famous and widely used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome site, thanks. I hadn't heard of Khan before.

    P.S.: Please don't use the URL as link text!

    ReplyDelete